Sunday, December 19, 2010

My Daughter Turning 25....

               Photo above is by Allen Griggs.  Scrapbook Page by me
Today  my girl turns twenty-five.  Not of my body but first born in my heart, Chelsey is the only child I actually got to pick out!  I meet her twenty-one years ago at the daycare where I was working.  I taught the four year olds at the time and she moved into my class right before she turned four.  I fell in love with her right away.  And through her I met and fell in love with her Daddy.  I guess you could say that I owe my whole life to her.  I did not know at the time that she would come to be so intricately wound in my life but I think she did.   She would beg me every day to not leave work until her Daddy picked her up.  I could deny her nothing and thus quickly got to know the man she felt (and still feels) hung the moon just for her.  I remember him dropping her off in the mornings.  He would stand by the water fountain and fix her hair into a haphazard ponytail.  What woman's heart wouldn't melt over that?  When she came into class she would smell like his cologne and all of the teachers would want to hug on her because she smelled so good.  She talked about her father constantly.  I fell in love with her, then I fell in love with the beautiful relationship she had with her father and then I fell in love with her Daddy.  The first time he kissed me she spotted it, started giggling and with a look of bewilderment asked, "Daddy!!  Why are you kissing Miss Amy?".  LOL...She then proceeded to tell the entire daycare.  Needless to say, we were quite the talk!
The minute she met my mom and dad she called them "Grandmama" and "Grandpapa".  She totally melted my dad's heart, so much so that he scolded me not to "screw this one up".  HA!  I finally listened to him this time!
The first year with Chel consisted of "you know what", "Hey, Miss Amy, you know what?", "Guess what".  It went on for hours, days!  She had this adorable country twang and could turn the word "what" into two syllables.  She was not perfect (She and her friends Liza and Sarah loved to eat dirt) but she was pretty dang close.  She still is.  She is the daughter I always wanted and the girl God sent special to me.
Chelsey has grown from that tiny dancing ballerina to a teacher of dance.  She always impresses me with her dedication and love of the art form.  I enjoy her.  I love her.  She is my sweet baby girl and she is my good friend.  I owe the past twenty-one years of my life to her and I am so grateful and blessed. 
Now if she would just hurry up, find a man and give me some grandbabies!!

No comments: